MSU St. Andrews to Offer Internships for Summer 2017
2017 Summer Research Internships
Deadline: April 15
Rising juniors (current juniors who will be seniors in fall ’17)
from the Midland County area are invited to apply.
Each internship will be a paid position at $10 per hour.
The program will be held at MSU St. Andrews
1910 West St. Andrews Road, Midland, MI 48640–2657.
The internship will be for eight weeks, 40 hours per week
(Monday through Friday, days), from June 26 to August 18.
Selected applicants will have the opportunity to be mentored by MSU scientists on cutting-edge research projects including:
- New compounds that prevent overcharging of lithium batteries
- Water purification: Removal of fluoride and other natural contaminants from drinking water
- NMR investigations: Attempts to correlate vegetable oil constituents observed by nuclear magnetic resonance with reported effects on health
- Organic chemistry: Evaluation of various Lewis acids for their ability to catalyze specific reactions
- What are plastics made of: Characterization of the molecular weight distribution and composition of polymers by gel permeation chromatography and NMR spectroscopy
- Saving honey bees from varroa mites with controlled-release miticides
- Designing sensors through 3D printing technology
- 3D printing of novel, nano-carbon-containing composites
- Solar system astronomy
- Variable star astronomy
- Exploration of an engineered wetland by environmental science
- Computer programming in Python with focus on interactive games
The application period is now closed. Students will be notified of their acceptance by mid-May, 2017.
Any questions about the program or the application process should be directed to Melanie Kauffman, Communications Manager, by calling (517) 432-4499 or via email.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodation for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Melanie Kauffman at (517) 432-4499 or firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2017. Requests after this date will be honored whenever possible.
Photo features 2016 summer intern, Kiley Mowry, as she presents a poster about her research project at an American Chemical Society event in Midland, Mich.