MSU Scientists Showcase Latest in Agricultural Research at Ag Days
Members of Michigan’s agriculture industry and local residents are invited to attend the upcoming research field days at Michigan State University’s outlying research facilities throughout the state this summer.
MSU scientists will present findings from their current research, ranging from malting barley and dry beans to forages and fruit and vegetable technologies, as well as answer questions from attendees.
Field days are as scheduled:
- The W.K. Kellogg Biological Station near Hickory Corners will host a malting barley field day from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on June 20; a Pasture Dairy Center open house from 4 to 8 p.m. on July 24; and a cover crop field day on Nov. 1. For more information, call (269) 671-5117.
- The Upper Peninsula Research and Extension Center outside Chatham will host the U.P. Twilight Forage Program from 6 to 9 p.m. on June 13. This free event will highlight current research trials on forage performance, annual clovers, cover crop and reduced-lignin alfalfa, peas, and oats. It will conclude with a presentation from third-generation farmer and forage expert Mike Buis on integrating cover crops with livestock operations, including using forage for grazing between cash crop growing seasons. Light refreshments are included. For more information, call (616) 443-8782 or email here.
- The Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center near Benton Harbor will host the 2018 MSU Agriculture Innovation Day on June 28. The event will focus on fruit and vegetable technologies. For more information, call (269) 944-1477.
- The Montcalm Research Center near Lakeview will host a potato field day on Aug. 9. For more information, call (989)365-3473.
- The Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center near Frankenmuth will host a field day on Aug. 9. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m., with field tours from 9 a.m. to noon and lunch afterward. Featured topics will include dry bean breeding, soil health, and weed management. For more information, call (989) 652-8014.
- The Northwest Michigan Horticulture Research Center near Traverse City will host a field day on Aug. 23. For more information, call (231) 946-1510.
- The Trevor Nichols Research Center near Fennville will host a field day 1 to 4 p.m. on Sept. 25. For more information, call (269) 561-5040.
For more information on the research centers, visit here.
- James Dau via MSU Today