MSU St. Andrews Internship Instructions
Congratulations on your acceptance to the summer internship program. We look forward to meeting you on June 25, 2018. Please watch your email for more announcements and instructions as we approach the first day.
Because you will be a temporary MSU employee for the summer, there are a number of human resource/payroll forms that will need to be completed prior to your start date. You’ll want to get started on this right away, especially the work permit.
Forms to Complete in Advance
1. Signed Work Permit from Your High School
- Step one – pick up the form from your school (sorry, there is no online way to do this)
- Step two – bring the completed form to MSU St. Andrews to have the employer section filled out and signed*
- Step three – return the form to your school for signature by the work permit office
- Step four – bring the final signed copy to your first day of work along with your other paperwork listed below
*You will need to have the work permit signed in advance by Mr. Troy Terwillegar, MSU St. Andrews, 1910 W. St. Andrews Road. He is available weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
2. Temporary Employee Data Sheet
Complete this online form and follow the instructions. This must be completed by May 25. After completing this form, it will instruct you how to provide your social security number via phone.
PLEASE NOTE: We will process the I9 on the first day, June 25.
NOTE: In order for our staff to verify your ID, you must also bring the ORIGINAL ID to your first day of work—photocopies are not accepted. If you have questions on what type of ID is acceptable, please refer to this list of acceptable documents.
Forms to Bring on Your First Day
The following forms can be printed, signed by a parent or guardian, then brought with you on the first day, June 25, 2018:
Frequently Asked Questions
- The program runs from June 25 through August 17, 2018.
- Your rate of pay is $11 per hour @40 hours per week. You will not be paid for any time missed.
- You will be paid bi-weekly via direct deposit.
- Work hours will be 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a lunch hour and two breaks. You are free to leave for lunch or there is a break area with refrigerator and microwave.
- For attire, you must wear long pants (jeans are fine) as well as shoes that cover your feet (no sandals).
- Safety glasses and other safety equipment will be provided. Use is MANDATORY during any lab work. The Employee Data Sheet will allow you to request a lab coat size.
- Computers will be provided for students in the Programming project. Other students may bring their own laptop or request to borrow one on the Employee Data Sheet.
Please contact Melanie Kauffman at (517) 432-4499 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for further information.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, political persuasion, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or familial status. Accommodation for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Melanie Kauffman (517) 432-4499 within two weeks of any event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.