NIH Loan Repayment Program Applications Due November 16
Applications are now open for the NIH Loan Repayment Program (LRP). This application cycle closes on Thursday, November 16, 2023.
The NIH Loan Repayment Programs (LRPs) are a set of programs established by Congress and designed to recruit and retain highly qualified health professionals into biomedical or biobehavioral research careers. The escalating costs of advanced education and training in medicine and clinical specialties are forcing some scientists to abandon their research careers for higher-paying private industry or private practice careers.
The LRPs counteract that financial pressure by repaying up to $50,000 annually of a researcher's qualified educational debt in return for a commitment to engage in NIH mission-relevant research. Since tomorrow's medical breakthroughs will be made by investigators starting in their research careers today, the LRPs represent an important investment by NIH in the future of health discovery and the wellbeing of the Nation.
To be eligible for the LRP program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- United States Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident
- Doctoral Degree
- Educational debt at least 20% of annual income
- Research funding is from a nonprofit source
- Conduct qualified research at least 20 hours per week
Applicants must also conduct research in one of the following Extramural LRP Subcategories:
- Clinical Research
- Pediatric Research
- Health Disparities Research
- Research in Emerging Areas Critical to Human Health (REACH)
- Clinical Research for Individuals from Disadvantaged Backgrounds
- Contraception and Infertility Research
Complete deadline and application information can be found by visiting the NIH LRP website.