University Research Organization
The Michigan State University Research Organization (URO) was established in 2011 to enable faculty to pursue research in areas of national importance that are challenging or impossible under current policies, particularly when review or restrictions on publication or considerations of citizenship status are involved.
Core principles include:
- Research conducted in the URO will be allowed only if this research cannot be undertaken in an academic unit.
- The current MSU research publication policy will be preserved or strengthened for projects that can be conducted in the units, and the administration will ensure that research is conducted in appropriate venues, whether in units or the URO.
- No breach in the integrity of the campus and its buildings that would unnecessarily jeopardize the University’s commitment to inclusiveness will be permitted.
- Undergraduate students, graduate students and junior faculty involved in URO projects will receive written documentation and a verbal explanation of any limitations or implications to their current or future academic standing prior to URO participation
- Classified research will not be conducted at an MSU affiliated URO.
Please email URO@msu.edu for assistance. For urgent matters, please call the Office of Research and Innovation at 517-355-0306.
Assistant Vice President for Research and Innovation
Interim Director, University Research Organization
Research Administrator for URO Accounting Function
Support for URO Space Management, Security, and Training
Memo on staffing updates July 27, 2021