NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy December Update
Subject: NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy: Resources available to campus
You may be aware of NIH’s new Policy for Data Management and Sharing which goes into effect on January 25, 2023. NIH’s policy requires researchers to prospectively plan for how scientific data will be preserved and shared through submission of a Data Management and Sharing Plan with most NIH applications, and to implement the approved plan if a project is funded.
A cross-campus workgroup has been formed to assist faculty and research administrators in navigating the requirements of this policy. A Data Management Response Team with experts from various areas has also been assembled to support this initiative.
The Data Management Response Team will be hosting virtual office hours via Zoom on Wednesday, January 11, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. to noon. Researchers are welcome to sign in any time during that window to ask questions or get help with their data management and sharing plans. Please register in advance if you plan on attending.
The workgroup has developed the following resources to support the new policy:
- Data Management Plans – Resources for MSU
- A central hub that includes links to various resources related to data management and sharing.
- Budgeting for Data Management
- Guidance on budgeting for data management and sharing costs. Also includes links to budgeting tools and resources.
- Data Management Plans – Sponsor Requirements
- Provides specific information on requirements by agency for NIH and NSF. Links to agency notices, tools, and resources are also provided.
- Example Data Management and Sharing Plans
- A compilation of links to publicly shared data management and sharing plans for various disciplines and funders.
- Please note: more information will be coming soon related to data repositories.
In addition to the webpages developed by the workgroup, I encourage you to review the following resources:
- A click-through wizard for creating a data management plan that complies with funder requirements. Examples and template language are provided.
- NIH 12 Days of Data Management and Sharing Tips & Resources
Please reach out to Twila Reighley (email@example.com) or Erin Schlicher (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions, comments, or suggestions. Topic-specific questions can also be directed to the following areas:
- MSU Libraries – DMP Support (research email@example.com)
- MSU Research IT Support (researchIT@msu.edu)
- Pre-award Support – OSP Contacts by College
Thank you for your attention to this new NIH policy.
Best wishes for a happy holiday season.
Douglas A. Gage, Ph.D.
Vice President for Research and Innovation