MSU Foundation Relations
Michigan State University Advancement - Office of Foundation Relations Overview
The Office of Foundation Relations is responsible for planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive program to build mutually beneficial partnerships with and to secure gift and grant income from foundations (with the exception of corporate foundations) and public charities as well as from select associations and other organizations. The Office pursues these goals through a core group of centrally located staff as well as Corporate and Foundation Relations-focused staff embedded within key colleges/units (Agriculture and Natural Resources, Business, Engineering, International Studies and Programs). The Office does not work with State or Federal agencies.
Major activities of the Office of Foundation Relations include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintaining positive working relationships with foundations that are currently supporting or that may have the potential to support MSU.
- Serving as a point-of-contact as well as a central clearing point for gift and grant requests to foundations to ensure requests align with funder interests and priorities and to prevent duplicate efforts.
- Identifying needs that may be met by foundation support through consultation and collaboration with the Provost, Vice President for Research and Innovation, Deans, Associate Deans for Research, Chairs, faculty members, and University Advancement colleagues among others.
- Convening relevant faculty members to discuss and develop strategies for foundation engagement and funding opportunities.
- Coordinating foundation campus visits as well as external meetings with foundation representatives.
- Coordinating university-level and multi-college initiatives for which foundation funding is sought.
- Working with MSU alumni who can serve as potential advocates for MSU within the foundations in which they are employed or with which they are associated.
- Providing advice/guidance on proposal development and submission.
- Maintaining an ongoing communications plan (print and digital) to keep foundation leadership, program officers, and other relevant individuals informed of MSU research, programs/initiatives, and outreach/engagement activities.
- Coordinating donor society membership for foundations.
- Providing advice/guidance to College Directors of Development on how they can work with their faculty members who are seeking foundation support.
- Conducting seminars and workshops for faculty members on how to work with foundations.
- Identifying and disseminating foundation funding opportunities to relevant Associate Deans for Research, faculty members, and College Directors of Development.
- Reviewing proposals and approving Proposal Documents (PDs) for all foundation proposals routed through the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).
Faculty members interested in approaching a foundation for support should contact the Director of Development within their college for an initial conversation. The College Director will then work with the Foundation Relations Office to discuss potential follow-up and next steps.
Staff Contact Information
Adam Kingston, Senior Director, Foundation Relations
Manages the Foundation Relations Team. Works with administration, deans, faculty, colleges, and central development to steward/expand existing and identify/cultivate new relationships with tier-one, national-level foundations (mainly the large legacy foundations). Collaborates with the Office of Institutionally Limited Proposals on the submission of annual foundation awards and competitions.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 517.884.1045
Larry Wallach, Associate Director, Foundation Relations
Works with administration, deans, faculty, colleges and central development to steward/expand existing and identify/cultivate new relationships with private, community, and family foundations within the State of Michigan (with a strong focus on Detroit and Southeast Michigan) as well as with a select group of national-level foundations.
Email: email@example.com, Phone: 517.884.1087
Patty Gonzales, Research Analyst
Provides research support and prospect analysis to both the Foundation Relations and the Corporate Relations Teams.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: 517.884.7724
Chery Moran, Administrative Assistant
Provides administrative support to the Senior Director and to the Associate Directors as needed.
Email: email@example.com, Phone: 517.884.1039